Friday, September 19, 2008

French Pasta Salad

I originally posted this on my blog this past summer. I'm pulling it out again because it truly was great for packable lunches.

Adapted from Moosewood Daily Special cookbook
Serves: 10

My notes: Moosewood is notorious for big servings so I increased the overall servings(original cal/serving was 509) You still get a good size serving. Note that I used the high fiber pasta. The original recipe called for toasted hazelnuts which I omitted after deciding that it didn’t need it. (Don't get me wrong, they would taste great, but I was trying to lighten the recipe.) The red peppers are roasted in the original recipe but I like the crunch of the fresh. I also added the tomatoes and mushrooms. This would be a great “toss in the entire garden” recipe. Great reviews from family and my running trainer. Wonderful main dish for those nights it is too hot to cook too much. Leftovers pack well for lunch.

14 ounces Ronzoni Smart Taste Penne Rigate (1 box)
3 Cups green beans, stemmed and cut crosswise
2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
1 Tablespoon minced fresh basil
1 large shallot, minced
1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1 large red pepper, julienned
1/4 Cup italian parsley, chopped
8 ounces button mushroom, quartered
1 Cup cherry tomato, halved
1 Tablespoon capers, drained
1/2 Cup chevre cheese

Cook pasta according to directions. Add green beans during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain and rinse in cold water to cool immediately. Drain again.Whisk together oil, vinegar, tarragon, basil, shallot, Dijon, salt and pepper.Toss pasta and beans with dijon vinaigrette and the rest of the veggies. Serve at room temp or slightly chilled.Cal: 216; Fat: 8g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 7g; Sodium: 270 mg; Calcium: 231 mg; Carb: 36 g

1 comment:

Elizabeth-W said...

I LOVE tarragon! This looks really good.