Sunday, September 14, 2008

Recipe for Cheese Soup

First a disclaimer that this soup is not necessarily super low in fat, but its good and warms me up when its cold in the winter.

Cheese Soup

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
4 Tbs butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
4 cups chicken broth or Vegetable broth
1/2 cup finely diced carrots
1/2 cup finely diced celery
Dash each salt and paprika
1 cup grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese

Cook onion in butter till tender. Blend in flour. Add remaining ingredients except cheese. cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat. Add cheese. Stir to melt. Simmer 15 minutes. Serves 8

When my sister gave me this recipe it called for American cheese, but I have never made it that way. I always just used cheddar, so that is the way I am sending it on to you. Also, I tend to put a little bit more of the veggies in this soup. Closer to 3/4 cup. It won't hurt anything and it will be better for you!

1 comment:

Millie said...

Mmmmmm... sounds so good.