Monday, January 25, 2010

Potato Soup with Kale Garnish

<--The mere idea of kale on the plate.
<--Yum for me; tears for her.


It's been cold and rainy. Last week I planned two dinners that didn't happen: one a mildly yellow potato soup with green salad, another garlicky greens on ziti pasta with cannellini. I still have the ingredients for both, so I decided to make the potato soup with a side of sauteed greens. It was not a hit.

Menu:
Double potato soup (sweet potatoes and regular potatoes with half-and-half)
Kale sauteed in olive oil and garlic, steamed in vegetable broth.
Toasted Wheat hamburger bun as roll.
Milk or Cranberry Juice to drink

As a family dinner, this was a fail.
I forgot about the tendency of Kale to be bitter. I love it in a creamy soup, but obviously none of the children do, not even the vegetarian with the sophisticated palate. Also, the younger half of the family hate potatoes and most soups, though I refuse to acknowledge this.

Nevertheless, I assure you it was delicious. I love that greens / starchy soup / cranberry juice triad. However, I'm not sure I'm going to love it for three lunches in a row.

2 comments:

Elizabeth-W said...

"though I refuse to acknowledge this" LOL
I hear ya loud and clear.
My new favorite thing in soup is fresh spinach. Rather, I tried it out on my kids and they are totally okay with it. I thought they wouldn't like it's wilty look.
We had a very lovely chicken noodle soup (very little chicken-very many veggies) tonight. I should move on to kale in soup next.

Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

I love kale! but we don't have kids to be picky about it.

You've probably already seen this, but did you know you can make chips out of kale? Maybe this would be a way your kids would be more open to trying it. (See http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2008/06/city-kitchen-chronicles-kale-chips.html)